Basmati Rice 1 cup
Milk 2 ½ cups
Sugar 1/2 cup
Saffron threads a big pinch, soaked in warm 1 tablespoon of milk
Cashew nut/Kaju, Almond/Badam, Pistachio/Pista a handful each
Cardomam/Elaichi powder ½ teaspoon
1. Soak the rice in water for 10-15 minutes.
2. Take a saucepan, add the drained rice with milk and set on low flame to cook for 15-20 minutes. Keep stirring and avoid the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
3. When the rice is just cooked, add all the other ingredients and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
4. Add more ½ cup milk if you like a runny Kheer or just follow the recipe for a thicker version.
5. Serve warm or cold, garnished with the nuts.
PS- For a more fancier kheer, drizzle rose syrup or serve with a dollop of berry jam.